Mustang Public Schools has a confirmed case of VIRAL meningitis. A sixth-grade student at Canyon Ridge Intermediate was taken to the hospital last Thursday. The student was not at school last week. The district received confirmation today that the student had viral meningitis.
Viral meningitis is typically less severe than bacterial meningitis for individuals with healthy immune systems and usually resolves without specific treatment, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
As a daily practice, MPS custodial staff use Virex, a disinfectant, every day on surfaces students touch such as light switches, door handles and water fountains. Teachers have bottles available to spray on student desks. Bottles are also available for bus drivers to use on hand rails and other surfaces. The safety and health of students and staff is the district's highest priority and additional disinfecting will be done at Canyon Ridge today.
The best way to prevent the spread of viral meningitis is to prevent the spread of viral infections. Please take this opportunity to speak to your children about good hygiene.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often, especially after changing diapers, using the toilet, or coughing or blowing your nose.
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs and the TV remote control.
- Avoid kissing or sharing cups or eating utensils with sick people; avoid sharing with others when you are sick.
- Make sure you and your child are vaccinated on schedule. Vaccinations included in the childhood vaccination schedule can protect children against some diseases that can lead to viral meningitis. These include vaccines against measles and mumps (MMR vaccine) and chickenpox (varicella-zoster vaccine).
Anyone interested in additional information about viral meningitis can click here.